Monday, June 11, 2012

Meditation 67: Listening to the Body Talk


There is a perfectly good sense in which my body and I are one. Without a body I would be unable to meditate, to think or feel. I would perceive nothing. Yet this unity of me and my body is disturbed by thousands of years of negative thoughts about the body and its place in the Great Chain of Being. In the Western tradition from which I write, a dominant strain of thought has elevated the mind over the body. The corruptible body is debased and impure, while the mind is non-corporeal and capable of purification.

This prejudice against the body makes it difficult for us to remember to consult it in our busy conversations with our selves. But just because the body is ‘dumb’ does not mean that it is unintelligent. For example, if one’s feet could talk, they would say that wearing high heeled shoes is a bad idea. So who is stupid, the body, or the person who becomes injured by choosing to wear them against the feet’s advice?

The trouble is that the body has been conceived as an animal in need of training. The body must be made docile to human purposes and habituated to things that it would not, perhaps, choose for itself, like tight shoes, cold showers and long dawn runs. The practices of the ascetics show us the lengths to which this ‘taming’ of the body can go. By the time we start enjoying physical pain, the purposes of the body have been totally perverted.

So, yes, I am my body; but no, we do not always remain in unity. My body can ‘say’ one thing, my mind something very different. This sounds dualistic, but dualism is a flexible notion. If you run into my car, I will identify myself with it and say, “You hit me!” If you cut my arm, I will say, “You cut me!” If I lose my arm, it is no longer ‘me.’ For some purposes we identify with our bodies, and for others, with our minds, even though the distinction between them is ‘thought-constituted’ and does not exist in reality.

How, then, do we communicate with ourselves? What in us is talking to what? Surely there must be internal distinctions between my living body and other parts of my personality or ‘soul.’ Mind and body have been historically singled out as opposing one another, but I would add that the aims, purposes and desires of the body can differ also from those of the ego, heart or spirit.

Imagine that a living human body is structured by intentionality and has its own intelligence and will. Is there wisdom or folly in the body? When is it right or wrong to listen to body’s counsels? Do bodies have their own agenda? If so, can we discover what the agendas of our bodies are and bring them into harmony with our actions, thoughts and emotions? Can we use the wisdom of the body to discover what we actually feel about things that we already think we know?  Does the body sometimes grasp the situation we are in before the mind does?

The body cannot literally speak, yet it does communicate non-verbally, in large part by introducing chemical compounds into our system that tell us when we are hungry, thirsty, or need to accomplish other bodily functions. Without these compounds, we would not know sexual desire, fear, hope and despair, or elation, intoxication, and joy. In this fashion, the body can respond to a situation before the mind can catch up to what is happening, as in the experience of feeling the hairs on the back of one’s neck stand up before recognizing the cause.

An example from my life occurred when a doctor remarked that one can die from smoking related illnesses even years after quitting cigarettes. On an intellectual level I understood this, but my body had its own reaction, which was not to be philosophical about the prospect of death. I lost blood pressure and became dizzy. It took quite awhile for me to recover my equanimity.

This experience made me pay more attention to my body, for I realized that it does have its own agenda. The body wants to live, and reacts to danger, or even the thought of danger. The body wants pleasure and hates pain. The body loves its desires to be satisfied, but tends not to take the long view.  At times, the body’s ‘thinking’ may be shaky, but at other times, it is solid, warning us of dangers we had not conceptualized, and advising us of pleasures not anticipated.

We live as bodies. We live them from a first person perspective; and though the body’s form of communication is non-verbal, we ignore at our peril the signals we continually receive from it. For example, the body tries to tell us when we are getting sick, and that we need to stop what we are doing and rest. Yet, as I know from foolish experience, it is easy to ignore such signals and carry on as if nothing were happening. The result is an illness that is much worse than it would have been had one listened to what one’s body was saying.

So how can we bring our bodies into the internal conversations we have with ourselves? Outside of direct imperatives, our bodies keep a relatively low profile and may be forgotten in the routines of daily life.  So we have to give our bodies a voice. We must remember they are there, trying, as it were, to talk to us. We must, from time to time, let ourselves feel our bodies without preconceptions. We must quiet our minds, listen intently, and let our bodies teach us how to listen to them talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment